I Know What I’m Having Tonight
June 23, 2011 § Leave a comment
This past weekend our tasting room employees Alex and Dan hosted a wine and food pairing at Sunset Hills. This event has always been a hit. Below are their recipes.
Recipes to be paired with Sunset Hills 2010 Unoaked Chardonnay
Grilled Chicken Breast with Spring Salad
Ingredients: chicken breasts, baby lettuce and baby spinach greens, seedless cucumber, sweet red pepper, mandarin orange slices, Asian pear of Granny Smith apple, raw almond slices.
Vinaigrette: olive oil (regular or light, not extra virgin), white wine vinegar (ordinary vinegar is OK), Sunset Hills Unoaked Chardonnay, salt.
- Baste chicken breasts with a little plain olive oil and grill to taste.
- In a large bowl, combine lots of your favorite fresh spring lettuce greens and baby spinach leaves.
- Add to taste some thin-sliced, seedless cucumber, small slivers of sweet red pepper, mandarin orange slices (drain the juice off first) and some thin-sliced pieces of Asian pear or Granny Smith apple.
- Make up a vinaigrette dressing from 2 parts olive oil (regular or light, not extra virgin), 1 part white wine vinegar (ordinary white vinegar is OK if you don’t have the white wine vinegar), 1 part Unoaked Chardonnay and a pinch of salt.
- Whisk the vinaigrette till well blended and drizzle over the salad, toss and then sprinkle with raw almond slices just before serving. (The dressing helps the almond slices hang onto the lettuce and not just drop to the bottom of the bowl).
- You can add an uptown touch by preparing individual plates, slicing the chicken breast and laying it over a bed of salad and adding a few additional apple or pear slices around the outside of the plate.
Recipes to be paired with Sunset Hills 2010 Rosè
- Pour one cold bottle of Sunset Rose into pitcher
- Pour a half a bottle of a Brute sparkling wine into pitcher and stir
- Get fresh strawberries and cut the tops off
- Put one strawberry into each champagne glass and pour mixture over it
- Serve with a cheese quiche and a green salad
- Make chicken salad and add tarragon, walnuts, cranberries and sliced grapes and serve in a pita shell or a croissant with a fruit salad
- Serve with Rose/Champagne mixture
Grilled Tuna Steak with Mediterranean Salad
Ingredients: tuna steaks, romaine lettuce greens with radiccio, cherry tomatoes, sweet onion (Vidalias are best), crumbled gorgonzola cheese, dried cranberries (Craisins).
Vinaigrette: olive oil, red wine vinegar, Sunset Rosè wine, salt.
- Baste tuna steaks with a little olive oil (oil can be infused with a little crushed garlic if you like) and grill to taste.
- In a large bowl, combine lots of fresh romaine lettuce and some radiccio to taste.
- Add to taste some cherry tomatoes (cut in half) and some thin-sliced sweet onion.
- Make up a vinaigrette dressing from 2 parts olive oil, 1 part red wine vinegar, 1 part rose and a pinch or two of salt.
- Whisk the vinaigrette till well blended and drizzle over the salad, toss and then add the crumbled gorgonzola and Craisins (again, the dressing helps keep the small stuff “engaged” so it doesn’t just drop to the bottom of the bowl).
Recipes to be paired with Sunset Hills 2009 Sunset Red
Marinade for Steaks
- Clean steaks and put in pan
- Add olive oil to cover bottom of pan, a splash of Sunset Red wine, cracked pepper and herbs de Provence
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1.5 hours turning over half way through
- Soak wood chips for half an hour and put on coals
- Sear both sides of steaks and set aside to slowly cook
- Get 1 stick of butter and cut in half
- Melt half of stick and add to pan with olive oil, wine and herbs
- Get two garlic cloves, mince them up and add to pan and stir up mixture
- With pastry brush, baste steaks with mixture on both sides till done
- With other half of stick of butter, soften up, add fresh ground parsley and whip up
- Place a dollop of butter with parsley on top of each steak, close lid until melted and serve
- Serve steaks with garlic mashed potatoes, garlic bread, green salad and a glass of Sunset Red